CATERING & SERVICE
Customer service and great friendships at sea.
Primary job tasks
Working in catering and service makes you a central part of making the day-to-day operations on ships and oilrigs run smoothly. Positions include everything from working in the kitchen to a job in administration, cabin or passenger service.
Your motivations and qualifications
- You have a desire for a busy work among many people
- Flair for customer service
- A team player
- Ready for intense working periods followed by weeks or months of paid leave
Some positions within catering and service require formal training. Other positions have on the job training and can be applied by un-skilled applicants.
There are catering and service jobs on passenger as well as merchant ships and off shore workplaces like oilrigs. You can look forward to a different work environment at sea with the possibility of sailing around the world.
Specific positions include: chef, kitchen assistant, kitchen manager, baker, food and beverage manager, purser, steward/stewardess, maid, shop assistant etc.
3 good reasons for choosing this career path:
- You can sail around the world
- No two days are alike and you can build great friendships
- Intense work followed by weeks or months of paid leave