Your motivations and qualifications
- You do not need special schooling, but you must have practical sailing experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ambitions to become a leader
- Looking for a challenging career at sea where no two days are alike
You supervise the crew on board, but with a rather small crew, and you perform many varied tasks. Among other things, you are responsible for administrative work and for the safety on board, but you also have the skills to service ship machinery.
Your training takes 6 months at Marstal Navigationsskole, on the island of Ærø and at the school of maritime navigation, Skagen Skipperskole.
During your programme, you have subjects such as navigation, meteorology, marine engineering, mechanical engineering, fire fighting, environmental protection and cargo handling etc.
You can look forward to becoming the supervisor on small cargo vessels, construction vessels, tugs and small ferries in Denmark and the Baltic Sea.
If you want, you can further your education to master (restricted) and then master mariner.
3 good reasons for choosing this career path:
- You will be “captain” on your own ship
- A maritime job where you do not have to be away for months
- No two days are alike
Meet the awesome women in the maritime industry and find out why they decided on a maritime career.
Among others, read about Emma, who has chosen to study marine engineering, and Ingrid Marie, who is an engineer and Ph.d. student at Denmark’s Technical University.